Thursday, September 01, 2011

3x6 Bee - Third Quarter

...a bit misleading, I suppose, seeing as how this is my FIRST quarter participating in the bee. But, third quarter it is all the same. I'm finding that satisfying myriad fabric likes/dislikes is a challenge --- the aim of the bee is to use stash fabrics to create 6 blocks, one for each member of the hive. The rules of the bee say we can't specify anything beyond the color scheme of our blocks (I chose red, aqua, and gray with a white background), but the quilters in my hive seem to prefer modern fabrics across the board -- no batiks, no country, no repro; nothing but designer stuff. While I have a lot of that in my stash, I don't necessarily have it in the right colors.  {grin} 

That aside, here's the block I'm considering for this quarter ---- a mosaic ---- I've come across it a time or two in my big book of blocks, but most recently it gained some attention as a featured block in the Summer Samplee Series organized by Lee of Freshly Pieced, Faith of Fresh Lemons, and Katie of Swim, Bike, Quilt. A fun series to follow for sure!

I plan to piece my block differently --- I don't particuarly like the visual line that joining half-square triangles produces, so I'm starting with rectangles and adding corner triangles. I hope to get a jump on my blocks this weekend...we shall see. There's LOTS I hope to do over my [rather extended] holiday weekend.  {wink}

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, to use rectangles and corner triangles! Your color layouts look great. I found myself shopping for new fabrics, too, as my *stash* is rather small. But a bit bigger now, with some lovely new reds, aquas, and oranges. What do you use for design software?

    ReplyDelete