Monday, August 22, 2016

Happy Centennial, NPS!


What a year! 2016 marks the 100th Anniversary for the National Parks System and there are so many ways you can get in on the celebration... The D and I along with my parents wandered west in May to visit several parks, including Zion, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Chaco, the Great Sand Dunes, and Colorado National Monument. Lots and lots of hiking miles under our belt with that particular combination.  {grin} 

As a quilter, my interest was teased a bit by the NPS quilt blocks at each visitor center, but I'm more of a geological marker souvenir coin collector these days. Oh, and books. Don't get me started on how many books I brought home... I don't usually do clubs or kits or patterns as a rule, but when I saw The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery's National Parks Birthday Club featured on the Fresh Lemons blog, I bit. [Picture courtesy of the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery]

Every stitch pattern I've come across that is cute and trendy invariably leads me back to the Frosted Pumpkin. It's definitely my style, if I were a cross-stitcher, which I'm not.  {wink}  But I don't plan to let that stop me! Once upon a time I wasn't a quilter either...  {grin}  I am anxiously awaiting the first pattern release this Thursday. Each month till November I'll get another piece of the puzzle to stitch up. Which I think it probably a good thing since I haven't cross-stitched since I was 8. My grandpa gave me my first (and only) kitted pattern ---- a balloon-holding penguin. (Ah, the 80s...) Thankfully it was fairly basic and color-coded 'cause it took me forever! {grin}  I'm stitching up this nod to the National Parks as a gift for my mom. She's been my fearless tour guide for over 35 years and I love her heaps and bunches! It's but a drop in the bucket when I think about all the time over the years that she's devoted to mapping our routes, smearing cream cheese on Ritz crackers, and practicing her bear spray quick-draw in the backyard because you just never know....  Thanks, mom ---- you are definitely one in a million and one of God's "good gifts" to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment