Thursday, February 08, 2007

Nothing profound...

....just me today. :o) It was Board Meeting day out at the office --- I particularly enjoy it 'cause I get to catch up with some of the board members that I've forged relationships with and I get to help out in the kitchen. Talking to people and cooking -- what's not to love about that??? I also worked some today on redesigning a logo for one of our local mission churches. Dan and I help out there on Wednesday nights with their Olympian program. I lead a small group for 1st and 2nd grade girls, and Dan is on the flip-side with the 1st and 2nd grade boys. I really love it, but the kids we have in this program are a lot different than the kids we have at West Cannon, mainly in their home lives and spiritual background. These are needy kids in a way that strikes me as different from the "churched kids" at WCBC --- and I am really excited to be able to work with them, form friendships, and hopefully be a loving influence in their lives. The neat thing about my particular group is that 4 of my girls live in the trailer park about a mile from where Dan and I bought our house. I don't know what church we'll end up at after we get married -- whether we stay at West Cannon or go elsewhere -- but I don't think it's by accident that we live so close to some of the kids we spend a lot of time with.

I'm hoping our home in Cedar will be a tool that God can use to help us reach people for Him. We're starting to get to know folks in the neighborhood -- mostly because we're late in paying our dues, sort of. Things got a bit confused when it came to what was covered in our closing costs and what wasn't. I got things straightened out and in the process met a couple of the ladies in our "block." Apparently we're going to be having a block party in the spring -- so people can get to know each other better. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a bit apprehensive. We've been in this neighborhood (granted, not living there full-time but still) for almost three months and I very rarely see people out and about. And those that I do, they don't seem to be in the mood to chat. They keep to themselves and that's about it. It might be the weather -- we did buy at the end of November -- or it could be that a lot of our 14 neighbors are in transition like we are. There are at least 5 houses that I hardly EVER see anyone at. One house, directly across the street from us, seems to be on about the same schedule as we are. I was out shoveling the driveway at 10:30 at night and they drove into the development, into their driveway, shut the garage, turned one light on, turned it off, and that was it. I didn't get a chance to talk to them and outside of one day when they had their garage open and their dog out running around, I haven't seen a person there at all! I like people watching...I wonder if they watch us??? We are, after all, rather sporadic in our comings and goings. :o)

Almost 5:00! So, for now, I'm off -- more later, I think.

p.s. For those of you who are, I would appreciate your continued prayers for my dad. This week in particular has been a painful one for him. I don't know if it's because they took the metal out of his foot last week, the fact that arthritis has already set into his "good" joints, the weather (it's been freezing, literally, all week and we just had quite a severe snowstorm move through the area), or maybe a combination of all four, but this week just seems like a rough one for him. He's healing, but it's slow-going. Even in the midst, we praise God! Thanks for praying and praising Him along with us...

No comments:

Post a Comment