Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time...

...is running short!  *grin*  I have two table runners in the works, one needing to be done by tomorrow. Yikes! I am doing a shorter (and slightly modified) version of the table runner from "Plates for Your Table" at the Moda Bakeshop. It's for a gal I work with and we're exchanging gifts tomorrow! I chose an Aviary charm pack and am following Bloom's tip for cutting the petals out of 5" squares. Genius! I've never sewn a Dresden plate before, and I don't have a fancy wedge cutter. Dan drew up a pattern for me in his CADD program, and I fiddled with my own version using the measurements I was certain of. My pattern came out just a hair off, so I went with the D's. The cutting was quick and painless; the turning and pressing a bit more involved; the petal stitching, super quick. I just hope the whole thing comes together --- pictures tomorrow, fingers crossed!

The second runner is for my mum for Christmas. I'm using leftover 2 1/2" strips from my "5 & Dime" quilt  (and changing gears from the belated Mom's Day spider web that never came to be) and doing three "Bento Boxes" that I'll eventually frame in a runner. Tracey Brookshier published an original Bento Box quilt pattern, but it's not too hard to figure out if you're determined. The block is a quarter log cabin --- I started with a 2 1/2" square and my squares end up being 6 1/2" unfinished. I'm pretty sure y'all can figure it out from there.  *grin*  I've read a few reviews about the Bento Box that say the pattern is well-written and easy to follow; better yet, it's been updated and expanded to include more block sizes. If you don't want to do the math, I'd say buy it --- I just happen to be a glutton for doing things the hard way. Mom's bento is coming along nicely; I have two sewn and the other cut and ready to be sewn. I'm going to border it in a solid green and back it with a solid brown. Kona. My friend. My love. *grin*

Outside of sewing, I've been keeping myself busy (read that: running me ragged) with the Christmas musical at Maranatha. I was a part of the set design this year, and many other random errands. I even got a part --- we hooked up all the Christmas lights in the auditorium to a remote switch. It was my job to light 'em up when the choir sang "Welcome, Jesus!" I was giddy to do it, even though most of the audience didn't even notice. They were focused on the projector screen and the pictures of the nativity. Ah well, I noticed. *grin*  Tonight is tear-down at the church; tomorrow night is our last night of Olympian Club for 2009 (and I'm ready for the break!); and Thursday night is decorating Christmas cookies at mom and dad's. After that, no plans. I'm finished up with work on the 23rd and don't have to go back until January 4th! I am so ready for this extended break... and hopefully I'll be able to get some quality sewing time in.

To one and all-----May you experience the comfort of Christ's love, the joy of His salvation, and the peace of His presence this Christmas and in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment