Thursday, July 01, 2010

*grin*

Everytime I sign into Blogger, I just smile --- I love the new templates. What can I say....in some cases pre-packaged and processed isn't a bad thing!

I stayed up until the wee hours of this morning sewing up a Disney Princess-themed checker board for my niece. I think she'll like it, even though she doesn't know how to play checkers {yet}. I neglected to take pictures of the process and final product, but thought I'd include a couple of illustrations to show you how I made mine, in case you want to give it a go. There aren't any bells or whistles (you caught the part about staying up quite late, right?) but I have some thoughts on that, and some additions I'll make to mine that will be fused instead of sewn.  *grin*

For now, though, I have HAPPY progress to report on the Modern Siggy Swap blocks: done! And so sunny and orange. I love 'em, threads and all! That's Peek-a-boo Stripe by Amy Bradley --- I found it in the clearance section of my LQS....$3 a yard!

Peek-a-boo...

And this is my new best friend for fabric writing:

This...

Freckled Whimsy did a little market research and I weighed my options. I used a fine-tip Sharpie for the first round of the Modern Siggy Swap and it was a painful experience. The tip of the pen frequently caught on the bias squares; the ink bled; and I'm a BIG writer...fine-tips are unpopular with me. So, for round two of the swap I went out and bought a 2-pack of Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric pens --- $4.99 at Hobby Lobby, and would've been cheaper if I could've found my coupon.  *grin*  Nothing fine-tipped about these pens (yes!) and the gel was smooth flowing. I signed all 101 of my siggy blocks in less than 15 minutes and only goofed up two. I signed each on top of a piece of cardboard and didn't really have to "brace" the blocks. The gel pen was uber cooperative and my official go-to from now on. Thanks, KarrieLyne, for featuring the science of signing!

No comments:

Post a Comment