Thursday, September 02, 2010

Breadcrumbs...

...are not very photogenic in my opinion, but they are delicious and pretty quick to whip up at home!

Crumbs

These crumbs came from humble beginnings: castoff hotdog buns.  *grin*  The process is pretty straightforward and simple, too! If you'd like to give it a try, here's how:

Hansel & Gretel's Crummy Italian Day
Makes 1 1/2 cups

3 hotdog buns, split*
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. paprika (smoked or Hungarian sweet, your choice)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Break each hotdog bun into three pieces and drop into your blender (or food processor). I have the option of pulsing, as in for ice, and that's the setting I use. Pulse 4-5 times, or until the hotdog buns are ground into relatively uniform crumbs. Add spices and pulse an additional 2-3 times. If desired, add Parmesan cheese and pulse again just to mix. I store my crumbs, Parmesan and all, in an air-tight container in the pantry and add to the jar anytime I have leftover bread.

*Ordinarily I use day-old and beyond bread for making crumbs, but really, I had no need for 3 hotdog buns when we had no hotdogs and I'd already enscripted 5 buns for other-than-hotdog uses. So, to make my buns day-old, I microwaved the split buns on HIGH for 2 1/2 minutes, or until they were good and dried out!

No comments:

Post a Comment